Diary of a 1950's Housewife

I am looking for motivation to do a better job this year as a housewife, mother, and author. I am writing a book on sewing historic doll clothes, yet have made little progress due to my ineptitude in scheduling my time. My mother was trained in these skills in the 1950's to be the wonderful housewife and mother that she has always been, and I suffer in comparison. I decided create a challenge for myself that combine my talents and history degree research skills: I will pretend to be a 1950's housewife and keep a diary of my daily experiences as if I live in 1955. I will also have an addendum to each diary to describe the reality of 2012 and share my research.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

January 4, 1955

I have been thinking about my resolutions for this year while I have been unpacking and making room for new Christmas gifts and toys.  I always get my most creative thoughts when I am doing menial labor.  I guess the monotony forces my creativity.  I remembered Ben Franklin virtues and looked them up in our copy of  The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.  He had 13 virtues and they are complicated, such as temperance, order, silence, etc.  From his autobiography we learn that he often failed in keeping them.  I do like that they provide a type of outline with subcategories.  I have so many things that I need to work on in my life that I am creating my own "virtues" for my resolutions.  Seven virtues evolved, and I like the number seven because of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."  I have always admired Snow White, and she is the embodiment of my seven virtues.  Most of my virtues coincidentally started with a "P," except for "health" and "forgiveness," so I used my thesaurus to make them "P" words.  I have put them in order of importance to me.

Peace: in my thoughts through prayer and calmness
Patience: with my family, myself, and our illnesses.
Pardon: of others and myself.
Pause: before action or speech; pause to see and participate in beauty
Prudence: in my finances, diet, and time management.
Physical Plan: exercise, healthy eating, and rest
Pretty Pampered Princesses: pamper myself and Emily with beauty routines; follow beauty rules

I have written and posted my seven virtues throughout the house.  It took a lot of "Patience" to write them so many times. 

My first "plan" is to work on "Prudence" by finishing my weekly routine plan.  This weekend Chip and I will work on "Prudence in finances," while Emily and I enjoy "Pretty Pampered Princesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment